Friday, April 30, 2010

SLEEP PARALYSIS AND OBSTUCTIVE SLEEP APNEA

Since I was a toddler.......(yes, my memory stretches  far.....only certain things that I can remember  , mind you), I have experienced various  dreams. Even beautiful  dreams that I don;t  want  it to end. I recall  that  if I want something in a  dream very badly (when I was a child) , I am able to force it to appear on my mattress for a few seconds after waking up. Incredible  or  unbelievable? Only when I was a child, not now, of course.
However, one  of the  dreams that I have up to the present day was  waking up but my body is still asleep. Maybe it's not a dream, I don't know what  it was  until a few years back when I read in the papers that there is this phenomenon  called  sleep paralysis. It  still frightened  me very much  because  if it happens (mostly during afternoon naps), I am aware  that I 've woke  up  but my body is still  asleep. I tried to force my body to wake up but to no avail. In this situation,  I always  hear voices,  mostly sounds  from my surroundings, which is not so frightening but the most frightening part was feeling some presense although I know I was alone  at home. Sometimes, it's a member of a family who had passed on  or just  some family member who happens to be outstation  or  somewhere else.
The  worst  part was  being unable to breathe.............I'm  afraid  I'm going to die one of these days from this so-called sleep paralysis. There is also this disease called  Obstructive Sleep  Apnea (OSA)  where you stop breathing  during sleep. I wonder if I have this sickness. Most probably ,as I had  experienced this since I was a child, only I felt it (Not able to breathe)  while  trying to wake up. It may sound funny, but everytime I experienced  this sleep  paralysis, my spirit (I think) will  try to wake up, including getting up on the bed and jumping down  or just jumping  up and down. Sound silly, isn;t it?
You can follow this link  to read more about sleep paralysis. I wonder if others  had experienced it before.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/sleep-paralysis-causes.html

No comments:

Post a Comment