Wednesday, July 1, 2009
What's All The "Hoo Ha" About Teaching Maths and Science IN English?
I truly support the idea of teaching Maths and Science in English, provided english is taught from Kindergarten or Standard One, not from Standard Four or Secondary One. When I was admitted to Kindergarten in year 1968, I couldn't speak a word in English nor understand it. My mother tongue is teochew. I remembered the teacher (Couldn't remember her name) used to translate the english words in teochew as most of us in her class were teochew. The way English were taught during those days were really efficient. We were taught to read in simple present tense and then past tense from kindergarten level. There were little play time then, no food were served at that time. The only break was during recess time where we had a small meal or drink at the school canteen. By the time I was admitted to Standard One, I could speak a splattering of English . I could understand what we were taught. By the way, I was admitted to an English medium school. I believed that with the methods of teaching English the ways of yester years, most students would excel in english. Not enough teachers? Look for old timers who are able to teach in English..........the way they were taught (In the sixties and seventies)........Don't bow to protocols.......as long as seniors can teach english.............I suggest that the Government look for these citizens. They have to appreciate what the government had done for them and maybe contribute something in return. I mean, some housewives might be very good in English with some time to spare...................
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yeah, I do believe that many teachers nowadays tend to not focus on correct grammar in school. The result? A lot of people speaking in broken English! It's sad but my mom used to tell me that most people in her time could speak good English.
ReplyDeleteYr mum is right. I understand you'll be studying to be an English teacher. I pray that you'll succeed as I believe your English surpasses many English teachers. Insya'allah.
ReplyDeleteSalina i had a small reunion with my schoolmates last weekend !..i havent seen them in 30 years!...We were talking about the English standard nowadays !! It's a sad situation...I'm trying my best to rectify the situation by making sure the kids converse in English at home.Well if most household were to do the same..maybe the standard would raise!
ReplyDeleteYes, I agree with you definitely but I plead guilty as I've negligently mislook this little task and now my children can't converse well in english........sob sob......I wish there's some ways to rectify it since my children are all staying away from me............
ReplyDeleteYou can still encourage them to try speaking English whenever they can.It's a matter of getting use to!...We are usually shy of sounding awkward.
ReplyDelete