Tuesday, June 23, 2009

First Time Attending Majlis Potong Jambul/Cukur Rambut













Have you ever witnessed a "Majlis Potong
Jambul" ? This is definitely a First for me and my friends who are New Muslim Reverts . It's so strange to us . After searching in the internet, I came across this link (mentioned in this enclosure link) which gave detailed procedures and food served during the Malay Customary "Majlis Potong Jambul". This Customary gathering was held at Unit Ukhwah (Religious Class for Muslim reverts) -JB which also serves as a Venue for any functions deemed fit. The organisers of this function which I attended did not exactly follow all the steps in detail.....eg. instead of serving nasi kunyit, we had soto madura.........the baby was dressed in pyjamas instead of fineries, the pillow was just plain "bantal busuk" etc and not decorated.........All in all, now I had an idea of what "Potong Jambul" is, it is snipping off a few strands of baby hair,............but I've still haven't defined the purpose of it. As mentioned, it's customary......Malay Custom, that is. But, while I was busy shooting this video (as shown here), each person had the chance to snip off the baby's hair, after patting it with some water from two leaves rolled up (see video).,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Grumps.......I also want to snip the baby's hair lah..........missed that part..............All in all, it was quite interesting although the procedure was not followed 100 %, no nasi kunyit, no young coconuts, the babies were not welcomed by a group of men as mentioned, instead they lay babies on the carpet before the prayers started, the baby's hair was snipped by ladies first (male chivalry here) and not men first...............well, I think that's what makes it so special as this is a function for Converts (Reverts) although not many attended as it was held at night during the time of our normal class. All in all, the Majlis held by us was quite simple.I loved it !! See pictures enclosed. By the way, there's two babies celebrated here and both mothers are muslim reverts (new name for converts), one is a chinese whereas the other one is a Sabahan.
Oh, sorry guys,...........couldn't download the video, I took it for more than 3 minutes and it's more than 100MB, that's how I missed my turn at shaving the babies' hair.....................those who want to watch this video can email me and I'll compress and email it to you..........ok......chow !!

No comments:

Post a Comment